PREPARATORY STEPS FOR MATHS OLYMPIAD FOR CLASS 5
Olympiads can be a threatening experience if one does not take into account certain tips and tricks to start their preparation process. However, if their preparation strategy has the following plans in consideration then they are up for a delicious piece of cake that is not just adding taste to their mental abilities and sharpness but can also leave its essence on their wall of achievements.
- Set your motive: First things first, make sure you know your intention behind taking the Olympiad and accordingly give a boost to your determination level. Make sure you take into account every aspect of the experience you are about to have while setting your motive and let it not be to win alone.
- Strengthen the foundation: You have to make sure that your basics are clear. If you didn’t focus much on your basics previously, do not worry and start by reviewing and practising the syllabus of your previous standards.
- Know the Syllabus: You must know what the Olympiad will be assessing, therefore make sure you know the syllabus in detail and accordingly work on it. You can find it on their website or the guidebook provided.
- Time Management: You have to stay committed to the preparation process and that can only be done if you fix the hours that you would give for the preparation every day. Don’t worry; you won’t have to give away with your entire day, which is too much to ask in this class. However, you should set some dedicated 2 to 3 hours every day for the same.
- Syllabus preparation: Make sure you cover every topic that is mentioned in the syllabus details of the Olympiad. You should study from the book that is either provided to you or else you can study from your school books as they have pretty much the same syllabus or otherwise look for the books of authors like M.N Aggarwal.
- Revision: Make sure after the syllabus is completed, you revise the syllabus at least twice. This will help you clear the concepts and increase your cognitive understanding. Keep increasing the level of difficulty to make you more aware of the kind of difficulty levels.
- Solve sample papers: Now this is very important as this will help you not only revise and test what you studied but will also provide you with an idea about how the exam will be and what type of questions can come. You can also refer to Class 5 IMO Question Paper 2015 for more brief experience. These are usually provided by the organization or they are always available on their website.
- Previous Year Question Papers: These also serve the same purpose as that of the sample paper but they also provide you with an idea about the difficulty level that is usually maintained in a pattern. If you are lucky, you might get some questions similar to what was previously asked.
- Time Track: This part works simultaneously with you solving the sample and previous year question papers. Often during exams, we lose track of time and at times we are not able to complete the exam. To avoid this problem, we should set a timer while solving papers, same as that of Olympiad, and try and solve the paper within that time. One can solve 2 to 3 papers per day.
- Practice on OMR sheets: Usually, many mistakes can be made while you fill the OMR sheet as it allows only one answer with no corrections. If you practice on it, you are less likely to make mistakes during exams.
- Website: Make sure you keep checking the website of the organization of the Olympiad to check for any changes.
- Do not Stress: Always remember, these exams and such Olympiad experiences are there to help you and to boost your knowledge and confidence. Anything related to stress is not the purpose of this exam and if you take stress then you are spoiling your experience which could otherwise be helpful. So make sure you enjoy the process and do it with your friends to make it fun. Remember, it is you, who is testing this exam’s capacity to make you stronger and prepared and not the exam testing you.
- Recreation: Anything other than you and your health is not important, so make sure you take out time for yourself and play outside and have some fun. Remember, this is a very important step of the preparation process.
- It is okay to have doubts: You are still learning and therefore take time to process the concepts that you are new to. Take help from your teachers, friends, parents or anyone else you think can help you but do not lose your focus and calm. Yes, you always have the internet to help you.
- Adequate Sleep: No, you are not allowed to mess with your sleep, you should and must take those 8 – 9 hours of sleep everyday without compromise.
- Relax: Just relax before the day of your Olympiad and do not worry, you have worked hard and you wish to give this exam, anything else does not matter.
The Olympiads are not usually as stressful as they look or are talked about. You are a young individual with developing learning capabilities; therefore these Olympiads are a great experience for you. With that beingevery day said, do remember that the examiners and officials who framed the question paper are well aware of your age and they will only provide and put questions that can be solved by a class 5 student. A secret? Umm, your exam will be objective which means you will have options to select from and not lose any marks for missing any step. Good Luck and remember you are prepared and confident.