Do you know what a Windows 11 in-place upgrade is? When and how to perform a Windows 11 in-place upgrade on your computer? In this MiniTool post, we will show you the information you want to know.
What Is Windows In-Place Upgrade?
A Windows in-place upgrade is to use the Windows OS installer to replace the current operating system files on your computer. Unlike a clean install of Windows, you can start a Windows in-place upgrade when your OS is still running. And an in-place upgrade can keep your files, settings, & apps during the upgrade process.
When Should You Perform a Windows 11 In-Place Upgrade?
When your Windows operating system encounters issues like the menu not opening properly, the desktop icons keep moving, File Explorer not working, and more, you can perform a Windows 11 in-place upgrade to fix the problem. Or if you can’t fix Windows 11 using an emergency repair method, you can also do this to make your Windows 11 computer go back to normal. Due to this, a Windows in-place is also called an upgrade repair install.
How to Perform a Windows 11 In-Place Upgrade?
Method 1: Use Windows 11 Media Creation Tool
Step 1: Preparations
- Make sure you are signed in or have the administrator rights to make a repair install of Windows 11.
- Unplug all peripherals except for your mouse, keyboard, and LAN cable.
- Disable or directly uninstall any third-party anti-virus software to avoid interference problems during the Windows 11 in-upgrade process.
Step 2: Download Windows 11 Media Creation Tool
The officially recommended method to perform a Windows 11 in-place upgrade is to use the Windows 11 Media Creation Tool. This tool is not available since Windows 11 has not been officially released. You can wait until the official release date of Windows 11 - October 5, 2021. At that time, the Windows 11 Media Creation Tool should be official announced. Then, you can go to the Windows 11 Media Creation Tool download page to get it.
Step 3: Perform a Windows 11 In-Place Upgrade
1. Click the downloaded .exe file to open the tool
2. If you see the User Account Control interface, click Yes to continue.
3. When you see the following interface, click Accept.
4. Make sure Upgrade this PC now is selected and click Next.
5. Follow the on-screen guide to perform a Windows 11 in-place upgrade.
Method 2: Use Windows 11 ISO File
Microsoft has rolled out Windows 11 Insider preview ISO files (Windows 11 22000.132) to Windows Insiders. You can also use this Windows 11 ISO file to perform a Windows 11 upgrade repair install.
1. Go to the Windows Insider Preview Downloads page to download the Windows 11 Insider preview ISO file. You need to select a proper edition according to your situation.
2. After downloading, you need to click the downloaded ISO file to open it.
3. Double-click the setup file to continue.
4. Click Yes if you see the User Account Control
5. You will see the following interface. Click Next to continue.
6. Windows 11 Setup will begin to get updates. You can follow the on-screen wizard to finish the in-place upgrade process.
Method 3: Use Windows 11 Bootable USB Drive
If you have created a Windows 11 bootable USB drive, you can also in-place upgrade Windows 11 via this USB drive.
- Connect the Windows 11 bootable USB drive to your computer.
- Open the drive.
- Click the setup file in the drive.
- Finish the upgrade install process by following the on-screen guide.
After a Windows 11 in-place upgrade, your computer should run without issues.
In this post, we show you 3 methods to perform a Windows 11 in-place upgrade. You can select a proper method according to your situation to solve the system issue you face. Should you have any other related issues, you can let us know in the comments.