What Is MSTSC Command and How to Use It to Run Remote Desktop [MiniTool Wiki]
What is MSTSC
MSTSC, a command within Windows, is used to run remote desktop. Hence, you can also refer to the MSTSC as a remote desktop command. When you are on the same network or know the IP address of a remote computer, you are able to utilize MSTSC to establish the connection.
A remote desktop allows you to connect to other people’s PC and utilize it as if you are standing beside it. Therefore, the remote desktop is very convenient. And the MSTSC is vital for managing the desktop.
If you would like to use remote desktop command, you should learn some MSTSC switches. What are they? MiniTool will show you the details in the following content.
The Parameters of MSTSC
The following are some parameters that are frequently used when managing the remote desktop. You can get a quick preview.
- /v:server: It specifies the remote computer to which you want to connect.
- /console: Connects to the console session of the specified Windows 2000 Server.
- /f: Starts Remote Desktop connection in full-screen mode.
- /w:width /h:height : Specifies the dimensions of the Remote Desktop screen.
- /edit: It can open the specified .rdp file for editing.
- /migrate: Migrates legacy connection files that were created with Client Connection Manager to new .rdp connection files.
- /span: Span the length of the available area.
- /admin: You can use it to log in to administer the server.
All the above MSTSC commands can make MSTSC work. All of them are available for you. Therefore, you can pick one according to your demand. How to use the remote desktop command? Follow the step-by-step guide below.
Top recommendation: Beginner’s Guide to Windows CMD
How to Enable/Disable Remote Desktop via MSTSC
You can establish the remote desktop connection via mstsc.exe with steps below and then enable or disable the desktop.
Steps for Establishing Remote Desktop
Step 1: Open the Run window by holding the Win and R keys, and then type mstsc and hit the Enter key.
Step 2: In the next window, enter the computer name or IP address of the reomte desktop and click Connect.
Recommendation: How PowerShell Delete File and Folder? Here Are Steps
Steps for Enabling Remote Desktop
To enable remote desktop, you should follow these steps.
Step 1: Run Command Prompt as administrator from the search box.
Step 2: In the next window, type the following command and hit the Enter key to execute it.
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server" /v fDenyTSConnections /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
Step 3: Then, you need to run another command to enable remote desktop. Type the command and hit Enter.
netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="remote desktop" new enable=yes
Steps for Disabling Remote Desktop
To disable remote desktop, you should carry out these steps.
Step 1: Likewise, run Command Prompt as administrator from the search box.
Step 2: In the pop-up window, type the following command and hit Enter after each.
- reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server" /v fDenyTSConnections /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
- netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="remote desktop" new enable=No
Step 3: The remote desktop will be disabled after executing the commands.
The Bottom Line
Here comes to the end of this post. To sum up, this post introduces you the MSTSC – the MSTSC definition, MSTSC parameters, MSTSC usage. It may be of great help for you to learn about the MSTSC.