iPhone deleting messages by itself is an annoying issue. Why did it happen? What can I do to recover deleted text messages iPhone? How Can I stop my messages from deleting on my iPhone? If you are also bothered by these questions, you can read this MiniTool article to get the answers.
iPhone Deleting Messages by Itself 2019
iPhone should be a device to save the files you need. But, if iPhone deleted messages by itself, things will not be good.
The following is a real-life case about iPhone randomly deleted messages issue from discussions.apple.com:
All of my messages have been randomly erased from my phone overnight. I did a hard reset and nothing came up after that! What can I do to get them all back? I have no backup or iCloud. I don't understand why this happened. Please help!!!!!
This is not a rare phenomenon. When you search for it on the internet, you will discover many similar cases, such as iPhone messages disappeared after iOS update or all my messages deleted iPhone 7 plus after restoring from a previous backup.
Why Did My iPhone Delete All My Messages 2019
As for iPhone deleting messages by itself issue, we summarize these four possible reasons:
1. iOS Update
iOS always keeps updating from time to time. Perhaps, you choose to update your iPhone to experience its new features. However, unfortunately, your data on the device gets lost including messages after iOS update.
Do you know how to recover files after iOS upgrade? This post shows 3 different ways to recover lost data and files after upgrading to the latest iOS.
2. Restoring from a wrong backup
When you choose to restore your iPhone with iTunes or iCloud, the backup file will replace all the original data on the device. Thus, if you choose a wrong backup file, iPhone messages disappeared issue can occur.
3. Syncing with iTunes
A wrong operation when syncing your iPhone with iTunes can also lead to iPhone text messages loss issue.
4. Incorrect settings.
Some of you may don’t know you can even set the iPhone to keep your text messages within a specified period. Just go to Settings > Messages > Keep Messages to check whether it is set as Forever. If not, it may be the reason for text message that deletes itself iPhone issue.
Now you figure out the causes of iPhone deleting messages by itself. The next things you concern about suppose to be how to recover deleted text messages iPhone and how to solve iPhone deleting messages by itself issue.
Keep on reading and you will find what you want to know.
Can I retrieve deleted messages from my iPhone? This post tells you how MiniTool Mobile Recovery for iOS works for you to get your lost messages back.
How Do I Recover Deleted Text Messages on My iPhone for Free 2019
As for iPhone data recovery, your first thought may be restoring your iPhone data with iTunes or iCloud. However, you need to know that restoring from a previous backup will replace the current data on your iPhone.
There is nothing wrong with this if you don’t care about other data on the device. However, reality is not always like that. Thus, to only recover the deleted messages from iPhone, you’d better use a piece of third-party iPhone data recovery software.
We suggest using MiniTool Mobile Recovery for iOS, a piece of free iPhone data recovery software, to get your deleted text messages back.
With this software, you can recover any types of iPhone data. And more importantly, you can save the recovered data to your computer rather than the device. Thus, you should not worry about the data overwriting problem.
Press the following button to download and then install this free software on your computer to check whether it can find your needed messages.
This tool has three recovery modules, including Recover from iOS Device, Recover from iTunes Backup File and Recover from iCloud Backup File. They can help you restore iPhone data in different situations.
In this guide, we will walk you through the detailed steps to recover messages iPhone in these three cases:
- How to Recover Deleted Messages from iPhone Directly
- How to Recover Deleted Messages from iTunes Backup File
- How to Recover Deleted Messages from iCloud Backup File
How to Recover Deleted Messages from iPhone Directly
If you don’t back up your iPhone data with iTunes or iCloud, you can recover deleted messages from iPhone directly with the Recover from iOS Device module.
Well, you should also know that the deleted files which are not overwritten by new data can be recovered by using a piece of third-party iPhone data recovery software. Thus, once you discover your iPhone messages are missing, please stop using the device as soon as possible.
1. Connect your iPhone with your computer via USB cable, and open the software.
2. The software can detect the device automatically and show it on the interface.
3. Click on the Scan button to start the scanning process.
4. When the scanning process ends, you will enter the scan result interface.
5. If you want to recover the deleted text messages from your iPhone, choose Messages from the left list to find your needed items.
6. If you also want to recover the message attachments, select Messages Att from the left list to have a look.
If this software can find your deleted iPhone messages, you can update it to a full edition to recover all of them from your iPhone. If you want to run the software on Mac, please choose the Mac version.
My text messages got deleted iPhone. Then I recovered them with MiniTool Mobile Recovery for iOS. Now, I will share this tool with you.
Due to the limits in MiniTool Mobile Recovery for iOS Free Edition, you can’t use it to save the scanned messages at last, but you can use this freeware to save other kinds of data free, like Notes, Calendar, Reminders, Bookmark, Voice Memos and App Doc. When you want to recover these kinds of files, please just use this free software.
This article introduces three solutions to restore Safari bookmarks on iPad for you in case that some important ones disappeared for some reasons.
How to Recover Deleted Messages from iTunes Backup File
If you can’t find your deleted messages with Recover from iOS Device module of this software, they may have already been overwritten by new data.
However, if you have backed up the messages with iTunes, you can choose to recover them from iTunes backup file. Recover from iTunes Backup File module can help you do this.
1. Open the software.
2. Choose the Recover from iTunes Backup File module from the software.
3. The iTunes backup file will be listed on the software automatically. If not, please click on the Select button to find out the target one manually.
4. Select the target iTunes backup file and click on the Scan button to start the scanning process. Tip: You can identify your needed iTunes backup file from the Name and Latest Backup Date.
5. When the scanning process finishes, you will see the scan result.
6. Check the file’s type from the left list. Then, check whether you can find your needed iPhone messages.
7. Still, if you want to use this software to recover all of the found iPhone messages, you need to use its full edition. Please go to the MiniTool official store to choose a proper edition.
Are you bothered by iPhone deleting messages by itself iOS 11/12 issue? MiniTool Mobile Recovery for iOS can help you out.
How to Recover Deleted Messages from iCloud Backup File
Due to the limitation of iCloud, you can’t use the Recover from iCloud Backup File module to recover iPhone data from an iCloud backup of iOS 9 and the later versions. For example, if you are facing iPhone deleting messages by itself iOS 11/12 issue, this module is unavailable.
Thus, please first check whether this mode can detect your iCloud backup. If yes, follow these steps to restore deleted iPhone messages:
1. Open the software.
2. Switch to the Recover from iCloud Backup File module.
3. Enter your Apple ID & Password and press Sign In.
4. The software will show you the available iCloud backup files. Choose the related one and press DownLoad.
5. Check Messages & Message Att on the small popup window.
6. Click Confirm to start the download process.
7. When the download process finishes, you will see the download result interface.
8. This software will only show you Messages & Message Att. Go to see whether they are the files you need.
9. If you find the iPhone messages you want to recover, update this software to an advanced edition to recover them without limitation.
Reading here, you can see that the Recover from iCloud Backup File module enables you to only download the needed type(s) of files. This design can save a lot of time for you in some cases.
How Do I Stop My Messages from Deleting on My iPhone 2019
After recovering your iPhone messages, you can feel free to fix iPhone deleting messages by itself 2019 issue.
The solutions vary in different situations.
Choose the Proper Backup File to Restore
If iPhone randomly deleted messages 2019 issue is caused by restoring from a wrong backup, please make sure that you choose the proper one next time.
Back up Your iPhone Files to Keep Them Safe
If the issue is caused by iOS update or syncing with iTunes, there is no effective measure to avoid it. However, you can form a good habit of backing up your iPhone data regularly to keep them safe.
Backing up iPhone with iTunes and iCloud are two recommended ways from Apple. You can visit this Apple official page to get the ways: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
On the other hand, you can choose to use a piece of third-party software to back up your iPhone data to the computer. MiniTool Mobile Recovery for iOS can also be used as such a tool.
Change Messages Settings on iPhone
If the issue is caused by an improper setting, you can just correct the settings on your iPhone.
Please go to Settings > Messages > Keep Messages. Then, switch the option to Forever.
After reading this post, you must know how to handle iPhone deleting messages by itself issue 2019 effectively.
If you have any questions when dealing with this issue or using this MiniTool iPhone data recovery software, you can contact us via [email protected], or let us know in the comments. Any useful suggestions are also appreciated here
iPhone Delete Messages by Itself FAQ
- Unlock your iPhone.
- Go to Settings > Messages > Keep Messages.
- Tap Forever.
Then, your iPhone will not automatically delete messages on your iPhone.
You can use professional iPhone data recovery software to get your deleted text messages back:
- Download and install this software on your computer.
- Open the software.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer via a USB cable.
- Let the software scan the device.
- Select the needed messages from the scan results and recover them to your computer.