Data loss can be caused by many reasons; Windows update is a common reason that leads to data loss. But don't worry too much since the lost files can be recovered. This article from MiniTool will show you how to recover lost files after Windows update with the professional data recovery software. After that, it will troubleshoot some Windows update problems for you.
Part 1 – Files Gone after Windows Update
To tell the truth, a lot of people are satisfied with the performance of computer after Windows update. However, there are still a small number of users who wish that they had never finished the update; they said Windows update deleted my files. Originally, Windows update is a pretty exciting thing, but things will turn totally different if you fail to find some needed files after the update.
The best way, I think, to get rid of such a dilemma is to recover lost files after Windows update as soon as possible. Generally speaking, you need to use a piece of third-party data recovery software to recover files after Windows update. Here, I suggest using the MiniTool Power Data Recovery.
Situation 1: you can use MiniTool Power Data Recovery Trial Edition to check whether it can detect the files on your computer which can boot normally after Windows update.
Situation 2: however, if you are unable to start your computer, you need to use MiniTool Power Data Recovery Boot Disk, which can even boot your computer without entering Windows operating system, to get your lost files back.
Then, I will mainly introduce these two cases in the following part. You can choose a proper way according to your actual situation.
Part 2 – Try MiniTool to Recover Lost Files after Windows Update
In general, the system C drive will be replaced after Windows upgrade, so many files or archives stored here before will be lost. Thus, before the update, users are strongly advised to back up the entire PC hard drive (if possible) or at least back up the useful files in system drive. However, few users will do this since:
- It is time-consuming.
- Many people don't have an extra disk to complete the backup.
This is how they make themselves in trouble. But don't worry if you are one of them. The solutions I will show now are going to be your lifesaver.
Windows Update Stuck
I am having an issue with my laptop. W7 updated and it has been stuck at the ‘Please do not power off or unplug your machine. Installing update 1 of 1' screen for over 6 hours. I need to get this laptop out the door for a trip out of town on business. What is wrong and how do I fix it?FrogSteaks in Microsoft Community
The statistics show that Windows update stuck is a common problem that bothers lots of users. Though the error messages are not the same, the result could be only one: Windows stuck on a screen, stopping you from entering the system or accessing the hard drive.
Now, you are worried about the data on your computer. As mentioned above, to retrieve data from this unbootable computer, you need to use MiniTool Power Data Recovery Boot Disk.
You need a normally working computer to create this boot disk. At the same time, you need to use a media device to save the boot disk and connect it to the working computer. Here, I use a USB flash drive as the media destination.
How to create boot disk:
Step 1: after registering the software on the normal working computer, you need to open it to enter its interface. Then, please click on the Bootable Edition icon at the top right to bring up the MiniTool Media Builder.
Step 2: when you see the following window, you need to click on the media type to go on.
Step 3: in the following interface, you need to choose the media destination you want to use and click on the Yes button to start the building process. Here, I choose the USB flash drive to continue.
Step 4: when the building process is finished, you need to close this interface.
Now, it's time for you to use this boot disk to recover data from the unbootable computer. To save the recovered files, you need to connect a storage device to this computer. Then, you can do as the following steps tell you.
How to boot from this disk:
Step 1: remove it from the working computer and connect it to the unbootable computer. Then, set it to boot into BIOS. When you see the following interface, please use up & down and + & - buttons to set the computer to start from the boot disk.
Step 2: then, you will see this interface. You need to click on MiniTool Power Data Recovery to enter the bootable edition of this software.
Step 3: now, you can navigate to the partition which contains your important data and click on the Scan button to start the scanning process.
Step 4: after the scanning process, you can see the scan result in this software. Now, you can choose the files you want to recover and click on the Save button to select the inserted drive to save these files.
- If you want to know more about how to build the boot disk with MiniTool Bootable Media Builder or how to recover files from a hard drive that won't boot, please read Operating System Not Found Error Appears, How To Recover Data thoroughly.
- Please click here to know more about how to deal with failing hard drive on Mac.
Windows Update Deleted My Files
You may find your useful files are deleted after Windows 10 update. In fact, you’re not alone. But the good news is that you can recover deleted files after the update easily by using a professional tool like MiniTool Power Data Recovery:
- Download and install the software for Windows.
- Open it and select This PC.
- Choose the target drive and click Scan.
- Choose files and click Save to recover.
I find many people put forward their problem – "I restarted my computer and everything is gone" and ask for help after Windows update. And I find this happens frequently to users, who have finished updating their system to Windows 10.
You must look for Windows update troubleshooter if you're one of the victims, right? I strongly recommend that you seek for files missing after windows 10 update immediately before you take any measures to try to fix computer settings.
Now, you can use MiniTool Power Data Recovery to recover files deleted by Windows update.
Step 1: download and install this free file recovery software properly.
Step 2: you need to open it to enter the Logical Drives interface by default.
Step 3: you need to choose the target partition and click on the Scan button to continue.
Step 4: then, you will see the scan result. Here, you can choose the files you want to recover and click on the Save button to save them.
When all files are saved to the place you selected, you'll see a prompt window in software and at this time, you can go to check the files and close software.
If you've got back all files missing after Windows 10 update, you can try the following methods to see whether they can fix your Windows update problem
- Some people say this problem may be a case of a corrupted account, so you can try to log out and then re-sign into the correct account (log in as administrator).
- You can also try a System Restore.
- Chkdsk command may take effect in a few cases.
Part 3 – Windows 10 New Update Deleting Files
Windows 10 update deleting files is talked about widely since KB4532693 - the new Windows 10 security update released on Feb. 11, 2020 - is proven to delete users’ files from PC. Some users said the KB4532693 update reverted their Start menu and desktop to the default settings. The questions are can you recover the Windows 10 update deleted files and how to recover them.
Troubleshoot Windows 10 Update Deleting Files
Step 1: Recover Missing Files
There are mainly 4 solutions to help you recover files missing on Windows 10.
Solution 1: check the temporary folder.
- Open File Explorer.
- Open the system drive (usually C).
- Look for the Users folder and open it.
- Find and restore the files from the temporary folder ending in .000 or .bak.
Solution 2: use data recovery software.
- Download & install the software on your PC (don’t save it to the system drive which includes lost files).
- Run the software and scan the system drive (the desktop files are kept here).
- Browse the scan results and select the file you want to recover.
- Choose a safe location to save the data and wait for the recovery to complete.
Solution 3: restore to previous versions.
- Open File Explorer.
- Navigate to C:\Users\username\desktop.
- Right click on Desktop and choose Restore previous version from the context menu.
- Select a previous version in the Desktop Properties window.
- Click on the Open button at the bottom to view this version and make sure it's the one you want.
- Click on the Restore button and then click OK.
Solution 4: restore from an earlier restore point.
- Press Windows + S.
- Type Control Panel and hit Enter.
- Type recovery into the search box at top right corner.
- Click on Recovery.
- Click on the Open System Restore link.
- Click on the Next button in the System Restore window.
- Select a proper restore point and click Next.
- Confirm your restore point and click Finish.
- Wait for the process to end.
Step 2: Uninstall the KB4532693 Update
Considering the damage that KB4532693 could cause, you should wait for a while before installing this new Windows 10 security update. Or you can make a backup (at least the important files) in advance with reliable tool like MiniTool ShadowMaker.
For those who have already installed KB4532693 but weren’t satisfied with it, they can uninstall the new update (this will bring back the lost files for you sometimes).
- Open Settings by pressing Windows + I or other ways.
- Select Update & Security from the Windows Settings window.
- Make sure Windows Update is selected in the left pane.
- Look for the View update history option in the right pane.
- Click on it and then click Uninstall updates.
- Select the KB4532693 and click Uninstall.
- Follow the instructions to finish uninstallation.
After that, you should restart your computer and check whether it functions normal or not.
Part 4 – About Windows Update You May Not Know
If you have enabled automatic Windows update, there will be a notification in computer when a new update is out. You can choose to get the new update or not; it's up to you. If you disable the automatic update, you can also choose to turn it on to get the new update manually. You can make your choice on the basis of your actual needs.
Right now, I'm feeling like to tell you how to enable/disable automatic update and how to deal with Windows update not working problem.
How to Enable/Disable Automatic Update Function
In a Windows system, the automatic update function is enabled by default. The biggest advantage of having this function enabled is that it helps to gain and use the latest patch whenever it’s out. But frankly speaking, this function is not so practical for most of the individual users and even business users due to mainly 3 reasons:
- The update may cause a system error.
- The unstable update will affect the stability and speed of the system.
- The unstable update will affect the stability and speed of the system.
Here is how to turn on Windows automatic update if it's turned off somehow.
Access Windows Update main window:
- Right click on the Computer & choose Properties.
- Choose Windows Update from left panel.
- Click on the Start button from lower left corner.
- Choose Control Panel.
- If you view by Category, select System and Security and then select Windows Update; if you view by Large icons/Small icons, select Windows Update directly.
How to turn on automatic update:
- Choose Change settings option from left panel of Windows Update window.
- Choose Install updates automatically (recommended) from the drop-down menu of Important updates.
- Click on OK button to confirm changes. (You're also allowed to set a specific time to install the update).
How to turn off Windows automatic update when you don't need this:
- Access Windows Update main window by the ways I have mentioned above or you find on the internet.
- Turn off automatic update: choose Change settings from the left panel -> choose an option from the drop-down menu of Important updates (except for the first one) -> press OK to confirm.
How to Deal with Windows Update Not Working Problem
Sometimes, when you prepare to check and install the update, you may unluckily be stuck on Checking for updates. As far as I know, there're lots of reasons that could lead to this problem. Thus, this happens frequently and bothers many people. Noticing this, I'd like to offer some useful tips for you.
5 useful tips:
- Please make sure that your system is clean, having no virus.
- Please confirm that you are running an activated genuine copy of Windows.
- If you're using Windows 7, please make sure that it is running with Service Pack 1 (please install it when necessary).
- Be sure that you have a stable internet connection so as to access Microsoft Windows Update service without trouble.
- Restart your computer to have a try.
Part 5 – Bottom Line
Many problems happen during Windows update; for instance, you may be stuck in the update progress or you may surprisingly find you've lost files after Windows 10 update. At this time, please don't ask yourself – where are my documents in Windows 10 (or other systems) – again and again.
The right thing to do in such case is to seize time to recover lost files after Windows update. Please let MiniTool Power Data Recovery – a smart recovery tool – to help you recover files easily and quickly.
After getting back all lost files, you are advised to know more about Windows automatic update and how to deal with update not working issue.
Please take your time; don't let panic ruin your efforts! Any questions or suggestions on Windows update are welcomed.