To access and read the files and photos on the SD card or memory card, you can utilize an SD card reader to get your computer to read the SD card. This post lists some best SD card readers for PC for your reference. A free SD card recovery program from MiniTool is also included to allow you to recover any deleted or lost files on the SD card.
To read and transfer SD card data on Windows 10 PC, you need to use an SD card reader to connect the card to computer. How to choose the best SD card reader for PC? Below we sift some popular SD card readers for your reference.
Best SD Card Reader for PC
There are many single-slot or multi-slot SD card readers for computers in the market. The multi-slot SD card reader supports simultaneous file transfer among several SD cards. Below are some best-sellers from top brands like SanDisk, Anker, etc.
SmartQ C368 USB 3.0 Multi-Card Reader
- Windows and Apple compatible.
- Powered by USB.
- Support multiple cards, up to 4 different cards.
- Support various kinds of SD cards incl. CF/SD/SDHC/SCXC/MMC/MMC Micro, etc.
- Fast data transfer speed: super-speed (5gbpbs), high-speed (480mbps), full-speed (12mbps).
Anker 2-in-1 USB 3.0 SD Card Reader
- Support most types of (micro) SD cards like SDXC, SDHC, SD, MMC, RS-MMC, Micro SDXC, Micro SD, Micro SDHC Card, and UHS-I Cards.
- Can read and write two cards simultaneously.
- Compatible with USB 3.0, 2.0/1.1. USB 3.0 can deliver a data transfer speed up to 5gbps.
- Constantly play once plugged in your PC USB port. No drivers are required.
UGREEN SD Card Reader USB 3.0 Card Hub Adapter
- Have 4 SD card slots: SD, micro SD, CF, and MS slots.
- Support most popular cards including SDXC/SDHC/SD/Extreme I III SD/Ultra II SD/MMC/RS-MMC, Micro SD/TF/Micro SDXC/Micro SDHC/UHS-I, CF I 3.0/4.0 /Extreme I III CF/Ultra II CF/HS CF/XS-XS CF/CF Elite Pro/ CF Pro/CF Pro II, MS/MS PRO/MS PRO-HG/MS XC DUO.
- Transfer data at up to 5gbps speed.
- USB 3.0 connector.
- Also support USB 2.0/1.1/.1.0.
- Compatible with Windows 10/8/8.1/7, macOS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
SanDisk - SDDR-B531-GN6NN MobileMate USB 3.0 microSD Card Reader
- Popular compact micro SD card reader.
- Compatible with USB 3.0 and 2.0. USB 3.0 transfers data 10x faster than USB 2.0.
Vanja Micro USB OTG Adapter and USB 2.0 Portable Memory Card Reader
- Support SDXC, SDHC, SD, MMC, RS-MMC, Micro SDXC, Micro SD, Micro SDHC, and UHS-I cards.
- USB 2.0 SD and micro SD card reader for data transfer.
- Support all OTG devices. Directly play videos and music from external memory without occupying space on device.
When choosing an SD card reader for PC, normally you should consider these things: connection type, data transfer speed, SD card type support, etc.
You can pick the best SD card for GoPro Hero 9/8/7 Black camera to capture high-quality 4K/1080p/720p HD videos. Check 2021 top GoPro memory cards in this post.
Best Free SD/Memory Card Data Recovery Software
The files stored on the SD card or memory card can sometimes get lost unexpectedly due to various reasons. For instance, the phone or camera device error, the SD card file system error, the SD card corruption, device sudden power outage, mistaken formatting, device damage, and other unknown errors may cause data loss on the SD card.
Fortunately, you can restore the lost data on the SD card as long as it isn’t physically damaged. You should immediately stop using the device to avoid data overwriting.
MiniTool Power Data Recovery is a professional data recovery application that is compatible with Windows. It allows you to recover any deleted or lost files from (micro) SD card, memory card, USB flash drive, external hard drive, SSD, PC, and laptop. A corrupted or formatted SD card is also supported.
Download and install MiniTool Power Data Recovery (free and clean) on your Windows 10 PC or laptop. Check the simple steps below for how to use it to recover deleted or lost data from SD/memory card.
Step 1. Use the best SD card reader for PC to connect your SD card to your Windows computer. Then launch MiniTool Power Data Recovery.
Step 2. Select the target SD card that you want to scan, and click Scan button. This SD card data recovery software will automatically scan all data on the SD card.
Step 3. When it completes scan, you can check the scan result to find wanted files, check them, and click Save button to store the recovered files in another location.
How to Connect and Use a (micro) SD Card on PC
Some PCs or laptops may have a built-in SD card reader. If your computer doesn’t have one, you should use an external SD card reader. For micro SD cards, you might need an external micro SD card adapter, insert the SD card adapter into the card reader, and then plug the card reader into your computer USB port to get your computer to read the micro SD card.
After you insert the USB card reader to your PC USB port, you can then click This PC on your screen to open Windows File Explorer. Click the target SD card in File Explorer to open it and view all files on your card. Then you can freely transfer files between your computer and the SD card, edit or delete files on the SD card, etc.
If you want to eject the SD card, you should not directly pull it out from the USB port. Improper operation may cause data loss and card errors. It’s advised you right-click the SD card at the bottom-right of Windows Taskbar and select Safely Remove, then unplug the SD card reader from the USB port. Alternatively, you can also right-click the SD card in This PC and select Eject option to safely remove the card.
Fix SD Card Reader for PC Not Working – 5 Tips
Fix 1. The SD card reader not working issue can be caused by various reasons. This post explains some possible fixes: Quickly Fix SD Card Reader Not Working on Windows 10.
Fix 2. If the SD card is not recognized by your computer. Check solutions in this post: Fix SD Card Not Showing Up Windows 10: 10 Solutions.
Fix 3. If the SD card is not working properly. Check some possible fixes in this post: 4 Tips to Fix SD Card Stops Working.
Fix 4. If the SD card doesn’t show photos or files, this post explains how to fix the issue: Fix Photos on SD Card Not Showing on Computer.
Fix 5. If you want to format the SD card, you can right-click the card in This PC and select Format. Then select the format like FAT32 to format the SD card to FAT32. Think twice before you decide to format the SD card since it will remove all data on it. You should copy all needed files to a computer or another storage device before you format the SD card.
This post introduces the best SD card reader for PC, the best free SD card data recovery software, how to connect and use an SD card on PC, how to fix the SD card reader or SD card not working issue on Windows 10. Hope it helps.
If you have problems with using MiniTool Power Data Recovery or other MiniTool Software products, you can contact [email protected].