10 Best Organic Sunscreens to Protect Skin, According to Skincare Pros
Benefits of Sunscreen
Skin is one of the most exposed organs and needs continuous protection. The sun’s harmful ultraviolet radiation can damage the skin, and the skin is highly susceptible to radiation, not just during summer but even on cloudy days. Sunscreen is the best bet to protect your skin from sunburn, discoloration, and premature aging. Besides protecting the appearance and health of the skin, sunscreen also prevents skin cancer.
What is Organic Sunscreen?
Generally, organic skincare and hair care products refer to those products that are free from paraben, preservatives, and sulfates. Organic sunscreen consists of carbon-based ingredients such as oxybenzone and octinoxate that absorb UV radiation. On the other hand, inorganic sunscreens consist of either or both zinc oxide and titanium dioxide that reflect and scatter the UV radiation safeguarding the skin. Organic sunscreens are free from chemical UV absorbers, artificial preservatives, fragrances, and harmful chemicals. Organic sunscreen is suitable for sensitive and allergy-prone skin and is also a great option if you are concerned about the chemicals used in sunscreen products. Organic sunscreens are easier to apply on the screen than inorganic sunscreens and do not leave a white residue when rubbed into the skin.
How to select the best Organic Sunscreen to Protect your Skin?
Choosing the most effective organic sunscreen can be challenging, with multiple options available. A critical factor that can help you select the best organic sunscreen product to protect your skin is Sun Protection Factor (SPF). SPF is a relative measure that indicates the amount of protection a sunscreen can offer your skin from the sun’s ultraviolet B (UVB) rays. UVB rays are responsible for causing sunburn and play a crucial role in developing skin cancer. At the same time, ultraviolet A (UVA) rays cause premature aging and wrinkles. Opting for a broad-spectrum sunscreen that shields the skin from UVA and UVB rays is advisable.
A common misconception is that SPF indicates the time you are protected in the sun. InsteadInstead it is the amount of solar exposure that you are provided. Solar exposure changes during the day depending on the intensity of sun rays. Fifteen minutes in the afternoon soon will be equivalent to an hour in the morning sun. Consider SPF number as a guideline meaning that higher numbers are equivalent to higher protection. However, irrespective of how high the SPF is, you must reapply sunscreen every two hours.
You should use sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher, as per dermatologists and skincare professionals. Sunscreen does not block the UV rays entirely. SPF 15 blocks 93 percent, SPF 30 effectively blocks 97 percent, and SPF 50 blocks 98 percent of UVB rays. You must apply sunscreen approximately 15 to 30 minutes before you step outside. Sunscreen should be reapplied after activities like swimming or if you sweat or dry yourself with a towel. Water-resistant sunscreen is usually effective on wet skin for 40 to 80 minutes. It is prudent to use sunscreen for protection daily, even on cloudy days.
Best Organic Sunscreen Products
Skincare experts recommend some of the most effective organic sunscreen products that offer protection from harmful sun rays.
- Lotus Organics+ Sheer Brightening Mineral Sunscreen SPF 50 PA+++
- Contains fresh white peonies that alleviate sunburn, tanning, and early aging, retaining and augmenting your skin’s natural brightness without feeling heavy or greasy on the surface
- A mineral-based formula that provides sun protection with SPF 50 and PA+++ from 98 percent of harmful UVA and UVB rays
- Reduces dark spots, dullness, and sun-induced hyperpigmentation
- Unique 80-minute water-resistant formula
- Lotus Organics+ Ultra Matte Mineral Sunscreen SPF 40 PA+++
- Loaded with natural antioxidant properties of cranberries
- Controls oil production and evens out skin tone, deeply nourishing the skin
- A mineral-based formula provides protection with SPF 40 and PA+++from a broad spectrum of UV rays
- Tinted and matt finish revealing a flawless look, enhancing natural skin color
- Unique 80-minute water-resistant formula
- Lotus Organics+ Hydrating Gel Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30 PA+++
- Frangipani actives leave skin looking healthy and moisturized without any greasy residue
- A Mineral-based formula provides protection with SPF 30 and PA+++from harmful UVA and UVB rays
- A non-greasy gel-based composition that delivers a bright and naturally radiant look without clogging the pores
- Keeps skin hydrated and strengthens skin barriers
- Aroma Magic Sunblock Lotion SPF 30 PA++
- All mineral, ultra-effective formula
- Non-greasy, creamy texture that gets absorbed easily
- Skin-friendly enriched with carrot seed, wheatgerm, and jojoba oils
- Green tea extract to promote elasticity
- Just Herbs Nosun Sun Protection Gel
- A chemical-free sunscreen formulation that is enriched with jojoba, wheatgerm, and grapeseed oil
- light-weight, broad-spectrum SPF 35+ PA++++ sunscreen
- Does not feel sticky and lets the skin breathe while protecting it from the sun
- Leaves no white-cast
- Forest Essentials Sun Fluid
- An ayurvedic formula minimizing the effects of the harsh sun rays
- Contains an SPF 50 PA++ providing sun protection
- Keeps skin hydrated with natural humectants
- Free from chemicals, parabens, and petrochemicals
- Soultree Sun Protection Cream SPF 30 Aloe & Green Tea
- Protects the skin from harmful UV radiation with an ayurvedic formulation
- Deeply hydrating with natural ingredients such as Aloe, Green Tea Extract, and Olive Oil
- Prevents skin inflammation, soothing and calming the skin
- Suitable for Dry to Normal Skin
- Biotique Bio Sandalwood Sunscreen – SPF 50 PA+
- A nutrient-rich lotion blended with pure sandalwood, saffron, wheat germ, honey, and bark of the Arjun tree
- Keeps skin soft, fair, and moisturized
- Protects skin with broad spectrum SPF 50 UVA/UVB sunscreen
- A water-resistant formula that retains SPF for up to 80 minutes in water
- The Nature’s Co Red and Green Tea Sun Screen Lotion
- All-natural sun protector
- Shields your skin from harsh UV rays
- Red tea provides essential moisturizing and conditioning
- Powerful antioxidant properties of Green Tea
- Jovees Sandalwood Natural Sun Cover – SPF 30
- A quick-absorbing Sun Cover guards the skin against UVA+UVB rays and other polluting agents
- Reduces the risk of skin cancer
- Avoids inflammation & redness
- Stops DNA damage
UV radiations are harmful, and exposure can lead to sunburn, premature aging, and even cause cancer. Invest in a good broad-spectrum sunscreen from a trusted organic brand like Lotus Organics that can protect your skin from both UVA and UVB rays. Evaluate factors such as ingredients, activity level, SPF, and skin sensitivity to choose the best organic sunscreen for your skin. With a wide range of options available both in stores and online, we have recommended the top 10 products that you can choose from based on their ingredients, SPF, price, and so on. Apply sunscreen all year round to protect your skin.
Thanks For Reading
More Read On Forbes Magazine